About the World Union for Progressive Judaism
The World Union for Progressive Judaism (WUPJ), established in London in 1926, is the international umbrella organization of the Reform, Liberal, Progressive and Reconstructionist movements, serving 1,200 congregations with 1.8 million members in more than 50 countries.
Headquartered in Jerusalem, the WUPJ represents the largest body of Jews in the world who seek a traditional yet contemporary expression of their Jewish spiritual, cultural and religious identity. The WUPJ supports the Progressive Zionist Youth Movement, Netzer Olami, and the TaMaR Progressive Young Adult Movement.
Progressive Judaism extends the scope of religious observance by granting full equality to all Jews, irrespective of gender and sexual orientation, while championing the values of the ancient Hebrew Prophets, calling for justice, equality and commitment to peace.
It is the World Union's goal to ensure that all Jews have access to a vibrant and personally meaningful Jewish life that can best inspire them spiritually and ensure the future of the Jewish People, whether in the State of Israel or throughout the Diaspora.
- 50 countries with Progressive congregations*
- 1,200 Progressive, Reform, Liberal and Reconstructionist congregations around the world.
- 1,000 youths participating in weekly activities in clubs across the former Soviet Union.
- Over 5,000 Jewish, Christian and Muslim families receiving pre- holiday food assistance in Israel.
- 18,000 members of Netzer Olami, the World Union's international youth movement.
- 50,000 family members reached through Progressive Judaism’s pluralistic Jewish Studies program in Israeli public schools.
- 70,000 people a year enjoy quality educational and cultural programs in our Mercaz Shimshon / Beit Shmuel center in Jerusalem.
- 1,800,000 people affiliated with the World Union's constituent movements globally.
* Argentina, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Belarus, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curacao, Czech Republic, Denmark, Ecuador, El Salvador, France, Germany, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Latvia, Luxembourg, Mexico, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Panama, Peru, Poland, Puerto Rico, Russia, St. Thomas, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States.